NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FRAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 8:09am
I seem to have somehow logged into an AmsOil commercial this morning.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Think about Amsoil and their profit margin. They make plenty selling over priced oil otherwise they could never support all their racing sponsorships!!!! There are plenty of high quality oils out there that you don't have to pay the big $$$ for!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 9:23am
I think Amsoil is good stuff, particularly for transmission, transfer case and differential fluid changes, but it's a PIA to find a shop that uses it, so I gave up on it awhile ago.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 9:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Think about Amsoil and their profit margin. They make plenty selling over priced oil otherwise they could never support all their racing sponsorships!!!! There are plenty of high quality oils out there that you don't have to pay the big $$$ for!!!

Based on that argument we should all buy Moomba's instead of Nautiques since both get you from one end of the lake to the other in the same amount of time.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 10:39am
I found it in a local hardware store down here at 10 a quart. Is that the normal price?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I found it in a local hardware store down here at 10 a quart. Is that the normal price?

That's cheap. Amsoil is typically around $12 a quart.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rosconole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 11:08am
Sorry guys I only pay 7.60-9.60 a quart depending on weight for amsoil.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 12:09pm
It's been a few years since I used it, but I was using the Diesel & Marine in a Suburban diesel and doing analysis that I was sharing with an Amsoil distributor who was interested in the project. At that time I think list was around $9 but he was selling to me in gallon jugs for around $27/gallon.
rosconole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 2:42pm
I finally figured out the best way to buy oil is by the case you get a good break on most everybodys stuff. Plus with 3 vehicles and 2 boats something always needs it!

The diesel and marine does is recommend in many inboard applications.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

I finally figured out the best way to buy oil is by the case you get a good break on most everybodys stuff .

Ross,
If you go to Autozone for the case (and price) for oil, make sure they have the cardboard box.

If you didn't catch my previous story about going into Autozone for a case of oil. I'll tell it again.

I go in and ask for the cardboard case for some VR! 20-50. I'm told they don't have it since they crush the cardboard once the shelf is stocked. So, I hand carry the quarts in two trips over to the cash register. He rings up the oil and I notice the price is not for the case price but for individual quarts. I question him and he tells me that's because I don't have the cardboard box!!!! It took a phone call to the store manager at his home to straighten it out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 3:10pm
Next crew meeting ask why HD don't carry it or at lreast make it so I can order it and pick it up in the store .
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
rosconole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 3:16pm
Let me digress to another autozone story....about 15 years ago I was in Commerce GA at car race and needed a slightly shorter serpentine belt for a car and easy enough right...Well come to find out they measure their serpentine belts totally different that EVERYONE else by I.D. vs O.D. or vice versa. AND they go by a total different number system. 6 or 8 belts later. finally got it close enough to get on.

I swear the must go by a metric system , I ask for a set of NGK plugs for a 351 , i have to tell them you can't see the blue and red lights going outside on the police interceptor bronco with 3 illegals in the back I need plugs for man. I can see them on the shelf.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2018 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Next crew meeting ask why HD don't carry it or at lreast make it so I can order it and pick it up in the store .

Gary,
Guess whos brand of oil filter HD carries? Yup, the orange one. I have a feeling besides cost, corporate wanted to coordinate the orange color!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2018 at 3:27pm
I wouldn't hesitate to use a FRAM in my boat and have on previous boats. I personally use STP because they're cheap and they happen to be the closest ones on the shelf to the VR1 at my local auto parts store.

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Let me digress to another autozone story....about 15 years ago I was in Commerce GA at car race and needed a slightly shorter serpentine belt for a car and easy enough right...Well come to find out they measure their serpentine belts totally different that EVERYONE else by I.D. vs O.D. or vice versa. AND they go by a total different number system. 6 or 8 belts later. finally got it close enough to get on.

I swear the must go by a metric system , I ask for a set of NGK plugs for a 351 , i have to tell them you can't see the blue and red lights going outside on the police interceptor bronco with 3 illegals in the back I need plugs for man. I can see them on the shelf.

While we're digressing, I used to live in Commerce once upon a time. That AutoZone was the exact same one I drove past every time I went to Carquest.
flyweed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 12:55pm
and just for all the full synthetic fans here. Did you know that here in the U.S. the Mobil1 full synth STILL uses a petroleum #3 base..the only mobil1 that uses a full synthetic base is 0W40. Over in Europe it's a different story. I've learned this being on the BMW car forums, for which my wife drives one. So I've read alot about oils in the U.S. an Europe
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2018 at 10:30pm
Sad but true,Mobil 1in 1979 was what is now called group 4-5 ester based. It was the real McCoy. The 0-40 still has the magic of group 4. Makes you wonder what you’re paying for at Walmart.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:13am
We're not running two strokes but I thought I would comment on what I just learned about Amsoil two stroke oil. My son had his Ski Doo 800 E tech in for warranty service and one of the items on his list was what he thought was high oil consumption. Using Amsoil, he was getting under 100 miles per quart. The dealer confirmed that this was normal consumption when using Amsoil. He went on to explain that the Amsoil with it's lower viscosity the injection system passes more oil. My son switched to BRP (Ski Doo) oil and his mileage nearly doubled at just over 175 miles per quart.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:17am
Hmmm, So the M1 likely deals with prolonged high operating temps similar to good Dino oil?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 8:43am
Is Mobil 1 considered a blended oil and not full synthetic?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:00am
It’s a full synthetic by definitions allowed for by API. It’s synthesized from a crude stock versus those made from 4/5 ester-based stocks which if I understand may be made from natural gas to liquids processing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:05am
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:23am
Interesting.   I think these discussions were hot and heavy on a couple of Harley Davidson owners sites.   Believe they beat this issue to a pulp.   

I believe I saw somewhere that stated Exxon Mobile actually manufactures Amsoil's base stock oil. Amsoil has other vendors that manufacture their additive package.   I don't think this means Amsoil and Mobil1 are the same but I believe both to be superior products.   Amsoil of course is the first to market the stuff for retail use. Prior to this it was used for military.   I believe the Germans invented the stuff in WW2 due to issues with oil supply.   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 9:44am
Here’s what the API has in its historical records;

It is believed that the first synthesized hydrocarbons were created by Friedel & Crafts in 1877 using Aluminum TriChrloride as the catalyst. Yet it wasn't until 1929 that the commercial development of synthesized hydrocarbons was undertaken by Standard Oil of Indiana. Not surprisingly there was a lack of demand for the new product and this first marketplace introduction of synthetic lubricants was commercially unsuccessful. (There is probably no relationship between this event and collapse of stock market later that year.)

Eight years later the first PAO, a synthetic product using olefin polymerization, was manufactured. 1937 was also year that the Zurich Aviation Congress became interested in ester based lubricant technology. From 1938 to 1944 thousands of esters were evaluated in Germany with excellent results. In our own country ester basestocks were also being developed by the United States Naval Research Laboratory and introduced into military aviation applications during the 1940's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 10:23am
Good read on base stock:

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

I would be interested to know where the info above (mobil1 = group 3 base stock) is coming from, as I do not believe that type of info is typically published.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 10:42am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Good read on base stock:

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

I would be interested to know where the info above (mobil1 = group 3 base stock) is coming from, as I do not believe that type of info is typically published.

Pretty sure any organic chemical lab could easily come up with the answer to “what’s the base stock material”
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:04am
Well that’s hardly helpful. Are you suggesting we all pay for such an analysis for any oil we are considering using? Or have you done so and are offering to share the results? Or did you read about someone else’s results? The implication above is that M1 is an inferior oil, I think many people would be interested in understanding the basis for that claim. A cursory internet search didn’t reveal much useful info.

It seems most synthetics are a blend of different base stocks anyways?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:19am
I don’t think M1 is inferior. They’re just synthesizing from Dino oil instead of other sources. I’m using M1. Performance is what matters and synthesized oils are superior to conventional oils.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:26am
Not saying you’re wrong, but I’d like to see the source of your information regarding 3/4 base stock... I’d like to compare M1 against the alternatives.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 11:39am
I have no idea other than what I’ve found on a few sites and they seem to make sense. The fact that M1 is synthesized from 3 verses 4-5 does not matter to me. It’s still synthesized to remove Parafin wax and all the various length HC’s to get me where I want to be. Those pure ester 5 synthetics used to make my seals leak like an open faucet when switching an older engine to M1’s early formula. Not so much now.

Group I and II - these are mineral oils derived from crude oil
Group III - this is a highly refined mineral oil made through a process called hydrocracking. In North America this group is considered a synthetic oil, for marketing purposes.
Group IV - these are true synthetic oils, known as Polyalphaolefin (PAO).
Group V - these are synthetic stocks other than PAO's and include esters and other compounds.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2018 at 12:00pm
Back to oil filters.
I found the Mobil 1 M1-301 on ebay, 2 packs about 21.00.   
At 10/each I see no reason not to use what is likely the best filter.   I ordered some.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic